Wednesday, August 22, 2018

VIC-20 Final Expansion 3 kit

In order to get serious about doing anything on the Commodore VIC-20 you really need to be able to get files into and out of the real machine, in my humble opinion.  I have also started using the VICE emulator, but whatever you do should be tested on the real hardware, and ultimately that's where the fun is.  ;-)

So, I've looked at a few options and I've settled on the Final Expansion 3 (FE3) cartridge kit.  I'm very comfortable soldering things together, and it makes things more interesting.  I also purchased a budget temperature controlled soldering station because the cheap iron I've been using for years doesn't seem suitable to me for doing this project because there is a little bit of surface mount soldering involved.

Here are a couple of photos of the blank board.



One really cool feature of this board the serial ports that hang off the back.  I can plug my VIC-20 serial port into the FE3 and use it's 512K of flash RAM (or an inserted SD card) as a huge floppy disk, and I'm told that I can even plug my Commodore 128 into it while it is being powered by the VIC-20, and use it as a floppy drive for that machine too!  Very cool!

2 comments:

Dan Goswick said...

I put one of these kits together a few months back and really like it. I would recommend you run the FE3DIAG program to test everything. I actually learned that my VIC-20 has a fault even though it seems to run fine. Another VIC-20 board tested fine, so I'm going to have to figure out the problem with my original VIC-20 from my childhood. Hope you enjoy it!

Carl Gundel said...

Thanks, that's interesting. What sort of problems does the fault cause?

If my VIC has the fault you mention, I have a second newer VIC that I can try, but I've been avoiding using it because it has the newer C64 power supply. I've been meaning to test the output voltage on that one.

Thanks again.