Friday, January 8, 2016

Writing a book was more than I bargained for

I really had no idea how much work this was going to be.  I had good starting material with the Liberty BASIC tutorial, which had actually been fashioned into a spiral bound book which I produced at the local Staples store, but this had to be more polished.

I had no serious word processing software.  This meant that I needed to use the Write application that came with Microsoft Windows.  The only strengths that this provided was that it was essentially free, it was easy to understand and didn't burden me with any strange gotchas that full blown word processors often do, and it allowed page footers.

This was hard work.  The process was to produce a draft of a chapter, print it out and then I would lay down on the carpet with a pencil and read it, marking it up as I went.  Then I would go back and enter in all my changes and repeat the process several times until that chapter seemed good enough for the book.

This took weeks.  By the time I was done, I was determined to never, ever do it again.  Of course this didn't end up being my last book.  :-/

No comments: