Monday, February 22, 2010

101 Things You Can Do With a Floppy Disk

C.F.C. hired a college student for the summer of 1987 to operate their TRS-80 system which had three 5.25 inch floppy drives. The young student (he might have been older than me) would sometimes come to me when he had computer questions or if the machine wasn't working perfectly.

So, one day he comes to me and says that he's getting errors from the floppy drive. Okay, I followed him over to the computer. He reaches over and perfectly naturally reaches down, opens the drive and pulls out the disk... backwards! The disk was in the drive backwards, and his fingers were touching the magnetic disk through the access hole. I wasn't ready for that, and I don't think he was ready for my surprised outcry!

The good news? Even with fingerprints on the disk surface the data was still intact. The disk read fine when it was reinserted correctly.

No comments: